CV of Dr Dorothee Schramm
Dorothee Schramm got her passion for technology and engineering from her German upbringing, her deep analytical skills from her education in Germany and Switzerland, and her international outlook from her work for leading US and Swiss law firms.
- 2007 Swiss bar admission, Zurich (summa cum laude – “Teilerlass”)
- 2004 Doctor of law (Dr. iur.), Lucerne, Switzerland (summa cum laude)
- 2001 First German State Exam, University of Göttingen (summa cum laude – first in state)
- Since 2022 Independent arbitrator
- 2020-2022 Head of Europe and member of global leadership of Sidley’s Global Life Sciences industry group
- 2015-2022 Arbitration partner, Sidley Austin LLP, Geneva
- 2011-2014 Arbitration associate, Sidley Austin LLP, Geneva
- 2007-2011 Arbitration associate, Schellenberg Wittmer, Geneva and Zurich
- 2004-2008 Part-time lecturer, University of Lucerne
- 2004-2006 Legal intern (avocat-stagiaire), Schellenberg Wittmer, Zurich and Geneva
- 2001-2004 Research and teaching assistant, University of Lucerne
Membership in Professional Bodies
- Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA) – Member of the Executive Committee and the Board
- Vienna International Arbitral Centre (VIAC) – Member of the International Advisory Board
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR) – Panel of Arbitrators
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC) – Panel of Arbitrators
- eBRAM – Panel of Arbitrators
- Gymnastics Ethics Foundation (GEF) – member of the Disciplinary Commission
- German Institution of Arbitration (DIS) – former alternate member of the Appointment Committee
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Switzerland
- International Council of Commercial Arbitration (ICCA)
- Austrian Arbitration Association (ArbAut)
Having worked with Dorothee on two complex US-based arbitrations, I value her excellent international expertise and advocacy skills.
(Stanimir Alexandrov, independent arbitrator and incoming President of ICCA)
Dr Dorothee Schramm
Dorothee Schramm has been recognized by several legal directories. The list of her recognitions include the following:
Chambers Global and Europe
Dorothee Schramm has been ranked by Chambers Global and Chambers Europe for Arbitration (International) and Arbitration Counsel (Switzerland) and has been praised, for example, for her “huge experience” and her “great legal skills and business acumen” (2021-2022).
Best Lawyers in Switzerland
Dorothee Schramm has been ranked for Arbitration and Mediation and International Arbitration in Best Lawyers in Switzerland (2022-2023).
Dorothee Schramm has been recognized as a leading practitioner for commercial arbitration in Switzerland by Women in Business Law (2021-2022).
Who’s Who Legal
Amongst her continuous WWL rankings since 2017, Dorothee Schramm has been ranked as Thought Leader – Arbitration (Global) and Thought Leader – Arbitration (Switzerland).
Global Arbitration Review
Dorothee Schramm received individual shoutouts in the GAR 100 of 2019 and 2020 where sources described her as “especially impressive” and as “the most proactive and responsive outside counsel I have worked with in my long career as in-house counsel.”
Dorothee Schramm was recognized as a role model by Breaking.Through.
Dorothee is a well-respected member of the Swiss and international arbitration communities with a stellar reputation. I am delighted to have her as a member of the Executive Committee of the Swiss Arbitration Association where she proved her excellent judgment and her dedication to promote arbitration in the interest of all of us.
(Felix Dasser, President of the Swiss Arbitration Association and partner at Homburger AG)